Chapter Two – A New Era Begins

The search was begun for a successor. E. K. Fred Catland sought release as Camp Ranger in a letter to Doug Eadie dated April 12th and mailed to him on July 29th. Phil Grefrath was elected as a member at large and Director. Bill Smith and James E. Rooney were to be added as members at large. Charlie Collins, Kiel Street, NT was mentioned as a prospective ranger. Don Lane, Pendleton Legislator might be at the Island for the August 14th meeting.

            At the August meeting it was moved to name the main building the “Fred Catland

Lodge”. The Tonawandas Chapter Order of the Arrow will honor Fred and Ruth on about November 8th at the chapter annual dinner. Nine Mile Island will support the effort to have as many friends of the Catlands as possible present. The lodge camping fee was placed at $15 per weekend. The chain across the road would have to be addressed. Rooney was to be contacted.

            In September, Pat O’Shei, Eagle Scout Candidate, Tr 104 sought and received permission to clear and mark a nature trail at camp which he then proceeded to do. 

            Don Boyd sent Doug a copy of the Erie County Girl Scout Council agreement with their ranger for possible use as a model/sample.

            At the October 26th meeting a letter of thanks was received from Mrs. Norma Catland for Don’s assistance (contacting Chuck O’Neil) in her in-laws move to Sanborn. After election day, Don Lane, Pendleton county Legislator will explore the possibility of Niagara County assuming the Island permit. Mike Frappier and his fiance, Pat offered to assume the ranger’s duties following their marriage next June assuming things remain as they are now. Bill Smith was named nominating committee Chairman, to report in December.

            During these months Don Graf and Doug Eadie each paid “donated” several utility and other bills to keep the camp financially afloat. Without a caretaker to share expenses and a routine plan for fund raising, the camps limited financial resources were being quickly depleted. Several Directors were again generous in 1976 to keep the camp solvent until annual fund raising was begun in early 1977.

            At the December 3, 1975 annual meeting, the officer duties were split up. Don remained as President, Doug Eadie as Vice-president, Al Frappier was elected Secretary and Bud Lindhurst was elected Treasurer. Honorary status was established. It was to be permanent unless removed for cause. Those so designated at this meeting were the Honorable Henry P. Smith III, Member of Congress (later World Bank President), Lloyd Long, Joseph Ambrusko and William Fraser Sr. All had been original Directors of the Corporation.

            The tradition of somewhat regular Board meetings was now in place to ensure the preservation and maintenance of the Island. Mike Frappier was coming on board as our second Ranger and an agreement on the division of utilities was reached at this meeting. The main lodge was to be converted into living quarters for he and his wife. Two additions to the building were completed for the incoming family. There was a bedroom added to the rear left end and a closet at the right end near the front. Mike would serve the Island well for several years.

            On March 31st, G. Peter Higgins, Oscar Daigler’s attorney wrote to inform the Island attorney that an easement for the road in use was not possible and that Oscar requests “that there be no further use of his property.” While he put a chain across the road, he did not lock it and allowed Mike and others to pass while he stood and watched. Action on this matter was needed.

            In June of ’76 Doug Eadie’s Bicentennial Philmont crew from Tr 607 completed some of their final cooking and tarp set up training in front of the lodge and slept there that night. It was a moonlit night and sleeping under the stars, Doug awoke in the middle of the night to see a red fox standing, staring at him from about ten feet away.

            The old voting booth building which had been donated to the island some time ago by either the town of Tonawanda or the Village of Kenmore was to become the “Leadership Lodge” for weekend campers. A stove was to be installed and bunks to sleep six or eight people were to be set in place.    

            The Tonawandas District Fall Survival Camporee was originally scheduled for Navy Island that year. Logistical problems with rosters, permits and boats required a more accessible location. The event was moved to Nine Mile Island. About this time, . Mike contacted Bill Bush from Tonawanda and he agreed to bulldoze the new access road.

            At a meeting on August 21st, Tom Zarbo and Dave Birt, Tr 510, Grand Island were elected as members at large. Their troop had just recently completed a major Bicentenial Canoe trip along the canal from Albany to 9 Mile Island and Grand Island. They had a reception picnic with parents and a celebration campfire when they reached camp. Each evening during their trek they had been live with an update on WBEN 930 radio and there were also some television reports (Scoutmaster Tom had been part of the original WBEN Channel 4 camera crew).

            At this meeting Bill Smith raised the fund raising plan of delivering White Directories. This was eventually done in conjunction with the Tonawandas Chapter Order of the Arrow (Doug Eadie-Advisor) which needed money for ceremonial costumes. Nine Mile provided drivers and Chapter Chief John Dickey coordinated carriers. Drivers included David Eadie Jr., Fred Allgeier, Dan Wells, Bill Smith and Doug Eadie (somehow his station wagon carried many more directories than he drove for.

             Doug contacted the NYS Canal Division for permission for the new road. They said open the road, keep the camp open and worry about paperwork later. The camporee was to be held from October1st to 3rd (plastic mug/Navy Island). Bill Bush’s crew worked the week of the event to bulldoze the road, have four loads of cinders delivered and spread. The work crew finished about midday on Friday, October 1st. Their bill was $237. The first automobile up the new road was Doug’s old ’52 Buick. The first truck was Mike’s pickup. The Tonawandas Chapter OA weekend followed the next weekend at the Island.

            At the annual meeting on January 8th it was decided that the current officers would remain for 1977. Bud Lindhurst was to check on our IRS / nonprofit status. Fred Allgeier was to check on fire insurance for the buildings. Ranger Mike was authorized to operate a Trading Post (First Aid/Office Bldg.) at the Jack Frost. Help was needed on Wednesday, the 12th to set up the staff/ warming tent.

            The Tonawandas District Operation Jack Frost for 1977 was originally scheduled for January 14-16. Snow and wind knocked down the GP Medium tent on loan from the Army reserve (through Chief Warrant Officer Hurley) prior to the event. It took much shoveling and manpower to reerect the tent. More snow and the Blizzard of ’77 intervened to cancel the rescheduled event two weeks later. This time the tent tore and part of it was even more severely buried. Another tent was brought in and the event (p) was finally held from February 18-20 (five weeks late – a record?).

            At a meeting on March 23rd more road fill was authorized. At the July 11th meeting, Mike indicated a need for a masonry blade for a circular saw and roofing tar  to seal some of the cut up radar cover being used to patch the barn roof.

            A phone list was updated at the August 23rd meeting with Don Lane being called only when necessary. The annual budget of $560 had a balance to raise of $205. Delivery of 10,000 White directories @ $.03 each had raised $300 and $75 in fees had been collected. Fund raising letters were to be drafted and sent when ready.

            September 30 – October1 the fall Tonawandas Camporee was held at the Island (p). Despite poor weather 140 plus Scouts and Scouters were there. Acting Ranger Al Frappier spent many hours preparing the grounds. Dan Wells, Del Krause, Jim Lally, Dave Birt and Dan Emery were key staff for the Pioneering events.

            At the 1978 annual meeting on January 12th the present officers and Directors were retained. Del Krause, SM Tr 575, Grand Island was added to the Board of Directors.

            The year ended with a meeting on December 30th. The list of Directors presented passed. Don, Doug, Al and Bud were again the elected officers. The ranger was commended for his general cleanup efforts in camp.

            In the spring of 1979, Don Graf was approached by the Tonawanda News about salvaging lumber from an old section of their River Road location that was being torn down and replaced with an up to date functional addition. Our time to salvage was to be about one week only after knockdown and prior to site cleanup and prep for the new addition. We secured trucks from Homer Mye and Kyle Lindhurst (UHaul) to carry that which we could use. Much of the lumber was 2 x12 when that really meant 2” x12″, not some fractional amount less. Among those helping were Don Graf, Mike Frappier, Phil Grefrath, Al Frappier, Mark Narowski, Dave ______, Dan Wells, myself and toward the end Kyle Lindhurst. Much of this material was used in the fall that year to construct the framing of the addition on the Leader’s Lodge and an open air shelter over our frost free pump (the start of pump house #1). The frost free valve shelter was prompted by breaks and severe weather freezing.

            Key members at large by the late 1970’s included Chet Pawelczyk; Jim Lally, Tr 574; Bob Moll Sr.; John Puchalski, Tr 273; Bob Tillotson; Ron Wagner Tr 55; Dave Dodd; Bob Stanley; Don Seyfried Tr 299; Harold Schwab Tr 574; Al Glassman, Tr 575 and Ken Whitcomb, Tr 501. Several of these were added at the May 17, 1979 meeting presided at by vice-president Doug Eadie. At that meeting tractor debt to Dan Wells and Doug Eadie was acknowledged for a “green machine” that Mike had recommended that we purchase. It was more powerful than our original tractor and proved useful for several years. Chet Pawelczyk arranged for its engine to be overhauled at BOCES several months later. Acting Secretary Harry Stuckey suggested that we have official camp stationery. Mike reported that the main campsite road was open again and that stone was needed for the back causeway and other roads.

            With this road again open, the question of permanent campsites was raised. Buildings to be allowed would be “lean-to’s” with large front openings. A campsite committee of Fred Allgeier, Al Frappier, Dan Wells and Ranger Mike Frappier was named to lay out potential campsites for Board approval. They met June 6 to do this. Doug Eadie was to draft the campsite tenant form. Bob Tillotson, Phil Grefrath and Tom Zarbo assisted in this task.

            At the September 18 meeting Kyle Lindhurst and Tony Harnisch were added as members at large. Kyle would provide many sheets of U-Haul plywood from repaired trailers that would helped us complete the Leader’s Lodge addition, the pump house roof and to repair some of our camp buildings in the future. Tony would donate many maintenance vehicle tires over the next twenty years.

            At this meeting the limit on the number of permanent campsites was placed at twelve to start. The tenant agreement was reviewed and accepted with modifications. It was to be an agreement sharing expenses, not a contract. Rules governing the use of the facilities were reviewed and to be incorporated into the agreement as an addendum. With the understanding that the original troops could always camp at the Island, the following were original siteholders; Tr 510, Tr 574, Tr 816, Tr 184 and Tr 55. ASM Tom O’Donnell, Tr 816 and soon to be SM of the troop has since served the camp as Treasurer and legal advisor. Tr 565 would be added soon. Tr 254 wanted to pay for a site and use anything open when they would come to camp without the responsibility of site maintenance. This concept was rejected for about twenty years.

            At this time the concept of site representation on the member at large list was tabled. Later it was decided that siteholder concerns could be relayed through the camp ranger. Many years later, the option of siteholder representation that we have today was officially adopted.

            Also at this time it was decided not to seek public funding that would necessitate opening the camp to all, thereby changing the camp’s founding concept of a youth camp.

            At the October 25 meeting, the annual election of officers retained Don Graf as President, and the following officers were changed, Dan Wells became Vice-president, Harry Stuckey, Secretary and Doug Eadie, Treasurer.

            On November 2-4, 1979, the Tonawandas District Advancement Camporee was held at Nine Mile Island (p).  They had 223 Scouts and leaders in camp with many new faces. Key staff included Jim Lally, Tom Zarbo and Mike Frappier.

            An annual information and report meeting chaired by Fred Allgeier was held at Salem church in December. Phil Grefrath agreed to head a dock installation crew. Tom Zarbo agreed to draft plans and gather cost estimates for a super shelter/ training structure.

            At the February 1980 meeting, the proposed new building would cost $22,000 to $25,000. Concerns about the long term future of the Island were raised and to be addressed first. Chet P. was tasked to gather pertinent data. Lowell Lucore attended as a prospective member at large. Tr 299, Amherst took a site. Tr 607 helped rough in new bunk frames in the Leader’s Lodge.

            At the March meeting, Lowell was elected a member at large. Jim Mann, SM, Tr 617 attended this meeting as a new siteholder observer. Tr 279, Amherst also took a site. Docks and erosion control will be addressed in April.

            In April, Secretary Stuckey expressed his concerns about Scouting displeasure with the camp and when the issues were not resolved to his satisfaction, he resigned by letter dated June1. It was tabled and subsequently accepted in the fall. Al Frappier and Fred Allgeier served the remainder of the year. More stone were needed for the new road.

Trees were envisioned as a windbreak at the area where later a snow fence and subsequent tree and bush plantings are.

            May 16-18, 1980 the Tonawandas District held a five year anniversary Serendipity Camporee (p) from Niawanda Park in Tonawanda to the Island ( by Bike, Hike or Canoe). District key thanks went to Tom Zarbo, Vince Harmon and Dan Wells for a great camporee.

            In July, apiary/aviary were clarified with John Puchaski. A new fangled gadget called a weed wacker was obtained at a discount price. Stone still needed for the road. Mike Frappier had/crafted a branding iron – 9 Mi CAMPER – for burning into thin wood slice neckerchief slides.

            At the Election meeting in November, Lowell Lucore was chosen as Secretary. Other officers remained in place. Also listed as members at large by this meeting were Vince Harmon, Charles Fleischman, Charles Kuhn, Del Krause and Dave Stein. 

            An annual and report meeting was held at Grace Lutheran church in December 1980 following the previous year’s format. Roger Lemke was added to the members at large elected in November. The new by-laws crafted by Jim Rooney and Doug Eadie and reviewed by Don Graf were presented and adopted. With minor updates, they still remain in effect. Fund raising letters were to go basically to former “Friends of 9-Mile” to maximize return on postage.

            In December two water line breaks were repaired by Mike Frappier, Al Frappier and Roger Lemke. Straw is providing extra insulation.

            At the January 1981 meeting it was decided to invite site representatives to the next meeting in March. The 11 site holding troops at this time were 816, 55, 574, 510, 617, 575, 607, 565, 299, 440 and 184. Future plans were discussed with them in March.

            Several important items were discussed at the May 6th meeting. The horse stall and fence have been taken care of. The water line has been out of service for ten days, a plumber was to be contacted. The tractor is down, needing repair or replacement. Phil Grefrath was to check with Pendleton about mowing the meadow. Cinders are needed for the road. Tr 574 has installed an approved stove on their lean-to. Any new requests for a building will require a set of plans submitted to the Board for approval. Maximum size is to be 20′ x 20′. O There is to be only one lean-to, maximum of four hundred square feet per site. One side must basically open. With every stove, there is to be a fire extinguisher.

            A discussion of camp rules ensued. Letters are to be sent to violators.

            President Don Graf then informed the committee that he was resigning as of that date. He stated that he would finish the thing that he has started.

            Vice-president Dan Wells assumed the responsibility of the chair until the next election. The next regular meeting was to be June 3, 1981 at the Island. Letters requesting each site holder to send two representatives were sent later.

            That evening, Tr 184 submitted a request for a lean-to, 20′ x 20′ with a 16′ front flap door. The plans were approved and it was built.

            Preceding the June 3rd meeting, approval was given to reimburse Chet Pawelczyk for resale camp neckerchief slides (plastic bulls). The meeting was a sales pitch from Dan for help and support, and a review of camp rules. At the end support was sought and given for a board planned work weekend in the future. That evening, Ranger Frappier submitted a letter stating his intention to leave the Island in September.

            Mike’s pending resignation was accepted at a meeting on June 17th. Ted Rose was designated the next Ranger effective in September.  He intended to develop the Leaders Lodge into his residence leaving the main lodge again available for weekend camping. Hence a picture window is concealed in the front wall to this day. Ranger rules were discussed. Mike donated his wood burning stove in the Leader’s Lodge to the camp.

Tom Wolfe was elected a member at large.

            Dan continued his reorganization attempts through the summer. At a meeting on July 1st, Dick Manton was elected as a Director. On August 19, a new Vice-president was elected. After Fred Allgeier and Bud Lindhurst declined nomination, Chet Pawelczyk accepted and was unanimously elected. Al Glassman was authorized to contact the Buffalo Ornithological Society about possibly establishing a bird sanctuary on the Island.

            On August 22nd the Tonawandas Chapter Order of the Arrow held an evening campfire at Nine Mile Island while hosting over 60 International Scouts from Europe and Africa. These scouts are touring through the region on their way home from serving on various scout camp staffs throughout the United States for the summer.

            At the September 3rd meeting, Treasurer Doug Eadie was instructed to bring the Niagara Mohawk electric bill current, arrange for reinstallation of telephone service and to continue pursuit of a federal IRS section501(c)(3) determination letter. Attorney Jim Rooney could not verify that this had been previously accomplished (Bill Fraser thought Joe Ambrusko had done this, and Vince Harmon in 3/82 minutes recalled a meeting with Atty. Rooney where this was mentioned as accomplished).

            Many Saturdays that fall were spent sorting, repairing and selling misc. equipment removed from Tops stores under renovation. Tom Zarbo had procured these donations from his employer. Also trees were purchased for planting under supervision of the conservation committee ( Fred Allgeier).

            Phil Grefrath and Lowell Lucore worked on rewiring the Lodge. Tom Zarbo engineered main roof ridge supports. “Doug was on the roof and it gave way”.

            At the annual meeting on December 19th, the incumbent officers were reelected. Members at large added were “Peanutbutter” Sam Gralnick, Fred Durkee, Ron LaRose, John Rutherford, James Doody and Gary Kowalski. John Rose was proposed as a possible ranger candidate since his brother would not be available. John was to look for a trailer. 1982 would not produce a ranger.

            February 5-7, Troop 184 Invitational Klondike (Frontiersman, sic), TN of Amherst plowed for Operation Jack Frost (p).  – need additional data

            In the spring of 1982 letters were sent to secure for recording all documents pertaining to the island permit and any tax exempt data. The purpose was to insure the camp’s perpetuation and to validate the tax exempt status of donations.

            From May 21-23, 1982 the Tonawnadas Disrict held its last spring camporee, Brownsea Experience (75 th Anniversary, Footsteps of the Founder) at the camp. (May ’82 Frontiersman – seeking additional data)

            At a special meeting at Dan Wells house on June 17th, the Grand Island Jaycees discussed assisting the Island with a special project. Subject to cleanup of the Island, they will commit to a building approximately 30′ x 50′ in size. Although Fred Allgeier  was opposed to the location across from the Leader’s Lodge (voting booth), this would be the place where our main shelter 24′ x 40′ was erected.

             On July 16, 1982 our permit was updated to include changing the permitee to Nine Mile Island Youth Camp, Inc., eliminating the provision of Amendment No.1 which required a five foot minimum diameter pipe under the causeway, removing two sections of dike wall and construction of a pole barn type shelter.

            August saw two major events at camp. One was positive and the other not. On a    positive note, the officers of the camp “were hosts to a group of international Scouts from Austria, Finland, England, Nigeria, Belgium and Scotland” on Friday, August 20th. This was the second year that they were hosted with Harry Stuckey again coordinating the campfire. Refreshments followed at the Catland Lodge.

            On August 24, Dan Wells had to inform Karl Heilemann, Scoutmaster, Tr 184 that their lean-to had been burned to the ground. The perpetrators were never caught.

            At a meeting on November 9th it was decided to turn down an offer of 50′ trusses for the shelter due to a requirement by the donor that a $1,000,000 insurance policy be carried to cover him as long as the building stands. Recommendations were made to amend the by-laws to cover the dissolution requirement for non profit status and to change the corporate name to include the word Youth.

            The annual meeting in December 1982 saw Tom Zarbo elected Treasurer. Sam Gralnick agreed to fill in for Lowell Lucore, Secretary when necessary. Lowell’s time is frequently limited by business travel. Dan Wells and Chet Pawelczyk also were reelected. Dan noted in his report that of the 14 campsites now established, only one was currently available. Twelve Boy Scout troops and one girl Scout troop were current site holders. Much work has been done on the lodge. A new roof is needed. Vandalism shows the wisdom of having a ranger as soon as possible. The Town of Amherst sprayed for mosquitoes, Pendleton mowed the camp in the spring and recently provided a front end loader with operator to place thirteen loads of stock piled concrete along the sides of the new road to make it safer. The city of North Tonawanda had delivered eleven loads of the concrete for us. Bill Bush gave us two loads of cinders for the price of one (one donated). He made the dike cuts and gave us cinders for the soil he got from those cuts. These cinders were used to build up the new road approach to Orbit Drive. 150 trees were planted. Tr 617, 833, 607, 574, 575 and a few others did work at camp this year.

            The author finds his records for 1983 to be sparse. He had stepped down as an officer at the end of  ’82 due to greatly increased family demands on his time.

            Continuing the tax exempt status saga, Dan got forms from Attorney Niemel on May 17 and delivered them to Chet for further work. The next day he picked up 250 Norway pines from the Niagara County Environmental Management Council.

            On May 22 Don Jaenecke (future MAL and Director) conducted an Archery program covering the Boy Scout Archery Merit Badge and the NYS Bow Hunter Safety Program. Nine adults and twenty-five boys received NYS Bow Hunter training certificates. There is another water line leak. 

            By Saturday, May 28th the 1930’s bridge over Ransom Creek was shut down until it could be rebuilt (previously scheduled for fall). The east side approach sank 18 inches and buckling was observed on the left side. (Best route from the Twin cities was Campbell Blvd. to Schoelles Road to north on Hopkins Road). That day roofing material for the new shelter was delivered and stored in the Lodge.

            Apparently the name change to include the word “Youth” was approved and forwarded to the Secretary of  NYS in October 1983. The transaction was never completed there.

            October 30,1983, a Servicemen’s Memorial Ceremony was held and the Allgeier ( Fred d- 2/19/83) Park was dedicated with about 35 including representatives of several veterans organizations in attendance.

            November 9th, Tr 440 selected Site #10.

            On November 19th, a cupboard from Chas Fleischmann was picked up and installed in the Leader’s Lodge.

            The annual meeting and election originally scheduled for December 17, 1983 was moved/not held until January 18, 1984. The officers were reelected. Also in attendance were Al Frappier and Paul Glassman, SM Tr 575, later MAL & officer. Regrets – Graf, Eadie and Kowalewski.

            In Dan Wells log on February 6, 1984 he writes in part of a telephone conversation with Mark Clement, Amherst DPW. Mr. Daigler did not want Amherst to spray his property if they sprayed 9 Mile Island for mosquitoes. Clement suggested Bill Kindel as an ally for funding support. He also suggested a possible Amherst/ Pendleton joint support venture.

            At the end of March some finishing work was done on the Catland Lodge and scrap material was moved to the barn.

            On April 2nd Vince Harmon told Dan about 20 poles available, turned into 2 and a wait for more.

            April 4, 1984 Bob Moll told Dan that American Legion Post #264 was donating a flag and would dedicate a pole to their departed member, Art Johnson (d-Jan) Tr 283/574 who had been a dedicated volunteer at camp in the past couple of years.

            Around April 6-7, the Pendleton Lions decided to assist with the replacement water line, five power poles appeared at camp and Bill Wilson sought money for the materials necessary for the shelter. Jim Rumbold considered being 9 Mile Ranger.

            After a brief hospitalization, Dan Wells and Bill Wilson staked the ten pole spots for our main shelter. Fred O’Neill, NMP Corp. promised to arrange for the holes to be dug.

            May 2nd, 200 Norway Spruce and 100 Austrian Pine were picked up at Lockport Co-operative Extension.

            May 5th, Tr 575 planted the trees and Doug looked over a copy machine donated by Dick Batt Realty World.

            On May 24th shelter post holes were dug and the poles dropped in place. Pendleton bushhogged the meadow in June.

            July 2nd Niagara County youth started a program of manpower assistance to the camp. By July 7, 1984, Bill Wilson, four Grand Island Jaycees, Dave Gill, his friend, Bill Price and Dan worked on the shelter. All that remained was to enclose the ends and install  the hold down supports.

            At the Sept 20th meeting, a new latrine was approved for an upcoming Weblos weekend. Fred Williams was to build this the next month. Secretary Lucore expressed concern over the taxexempt status, the name change and Brennon’s topsoil hill.

            The November 1st meeting brought a Gas Co. recommendation to get new pipe for the waterline first and they will assist with installation

            At the annual meeting on December 13th at Grove Street Christian Church’s Scout Hut, Lowell Lucore’s resignation as Secretary due primarily to continued business travel was noted.  Acting Secretary Doug Eadie’s notes indicate that Directors and MAL were elected with the remaining officers. Doug Eadie was elected to the first of three years in his second stint as Secretary. He would have considerable assistance. Donald Miller (Park) was elected to the advisory board. Dave Gill was to mark campsites. Tom Zarbo was to work on a cabin rules/ facilities letter. Tom O’Donnell and Paul Glassman were among the site holder leaders at years end.

            At the January 17, 1985 meeting Al Glassman reported pursuing the improved water line with Wayne Overholdt, NFG. Inserting a 3/4″ line inside the 11/2″ line would be a step up in pressure to 80 lbs. Army aerial photos were also discussed.

            At the March 30 meeting, Tr 184 secured permission to construct a 12′ x 24′ Adirondak style Lean-to with 5 – 6′ walls and an open front. Tr 51 was granted permission for a similar style Lean-to in their site.

            The April 18 meeting noted pending use by the Pendleton Royal Rangers on May 10 and 11. The Rainbow District (formed by a reorganization of districts about January 1983 included all of the old Niagara Frontier Council [Portage and Ongara Districts] and North Tonawanda and Grand Island from the old Tonawandas District) plans to do a fall canoe, bike and hike trek to the Island.

            The main agenda item in May was to put together a plan to wrap things up with Brennon ( his storage and multiple would be bosses) as amicably as possible with the 9 Mile officers. On the upcoming calendar for August 4th is a NYS Archery Hunting License program.

             At an August 23rd meeting problems regarding insurance and the Health Dept. were noted, prompting among other items the resignation letter of our Treasurer from concerns over liability without insurance. Dave Gill was proposed as a possible Ranger, (has been Tr 51 Scoutmaster, one of our siteholders). At the next meeting, falconer and naturalist Paul Schnell was also noted as having an interest in the Ranger position. the possibility of dual rangers was considered. Al Glassman noted that our water situation was now in good condition.

            October 18-20, 1985 the Rainbow District held a very wet Serendipity Camporee (p) from Niawanda Park (to home for most as I recall) rather than to the Island. Don Miller was Campmaster with assists from Dan Wells and Ed Wokersien for this 75th Anniversary event.

            After November 2 interviews and Paul Schnell’s anticipation of compensation, it was clear that Dave Gill would be our next ranger. At the annual meeting on November 9 it was noted that another as yet unauthorized site had been cleared and was in use.

            By the December 12 meeting, Dave Gill’s trailer was in place and the phone and electricity had been installed. A tractor is being stored on the island in return for plowing and other use. Al Glassman suggested enclosing the area around the water tap for security. Dave Gill was clearing part of the towpath Trail behind his trailer.

            At the January 16, 1986 meeting in response to a query from Tom Zarbo, Dave Gill reported that many camp visitors now get to the top of the hill, turn around and leave.

            The Rainbow District held a spring camporee, “Advancing Can Be Fun” (p) from May 16th – 18th.

            In August Al Glassman updated the campsite agreement forms. The insurance bill is up to $572. Spring and Fall spruce ups were proposed for ’87. At the November 15th meeting, Bob Glidden was added as a member at large and Fred Williams, MAL was elected as a Director. On December 9, 1986 our permit was amended by petition of Amherst neighbor David E. Sable to permit to him a tract of canal frontage that includes a very small, seldom used tip of the island north of the council ring and OA ring.

            1987 highlights – At June 13 meeting, Tom Zarbo resigned as treasurer for business reasons, will continue to help when able. Vince Harmon will be Acting Treasurer. Rainbow Weblos and Dads use the camp for a Cub Scout picnic.

            By July Dave Gill was remarried and by September he stepped down as Ranger. His son-in-law and daughter, Len and Becky Serusa took over Dave’s trailer and became our next Ranger family at the island. By Sept Tr 888 had a site and troops 212,KE and 6, Lkpt were interested.

            By October 9th – Tr 652, 600, 575 and campsite #8 paid, site # 9 to be divided. Tr 212 will take new #14. Tr 6 will take site #9. Tr 652 has cleared their site and is using it regularly. Permission was given for a 12′ x 20′ lean-to to Don Jaenecke for Tr 652’s site. Tr 830 also wants a site – not selected yet. Tr 440 not renewing their site. On Sept 25th, Tr 462 SM Jeff DeFrank was confronted on their fourth time using the camp without registering or paying.

            At the November 4th meeting it was noted that Karl Heilmann, Tr 184 has arranged for an Air National Guard helicopter to be on site on Saturday, November 21st. Scouts in uniform were welcome to observe. After 54 scouts and scouters from Troop 184 had hiked to camp from Miller Park in North Tonawnda. The helicopter never arrived. Thirteen degree weather chilled their plans to remain overnight. Dave Gill said Tr 51 was not renewing their site agreement. Tr 575 was moving from Site 7 to Site 9, leaving Sites 6 and 7 open for Tr 888 and Tr 777- Fred Williams?